Hey guys. Happy new month!!
Hope everyone had a good weekend.
So, I was just going through my BB and decided to jump into the BlackBerry World (formerly Blackberry app world) and then I remembered a friend once told me that she had downloaded an app and never enjoyed it because it kept crashing or sometimes caused another app to crash or malfunction. So well here’s just a couple of things I do before I hit the download button:
* Check if the update is for your device (especially if your device is branded eg AT n T,Rogers,T-mobile etc) OS updates*
* Check what version of OS you have installed on your device ( type ‘myver’ and hit space) the new update might not just be new to you or even necessary. OS updates*
* Read reviews from other users who have installed the app or OS already. Then you can decide from their judgement. This is very important.
* Before you download an app,check the size of the app and then use the Application manager to look at all apps on your device to check which you rarely use or never used, you could just delete one just before you download another just to conserve space.
* This should have come first,but well, YOU MUST HAVE A BLACKBERRY ID, YOUR OWN ID and never share your password with anyone. If you’re someone that really buys apps you’d know that this really helps so you don’t have to pay for an app twice just incase you delete it and also to transfer your applications from an old device to a new one easily.
* Some themes are not meant for all devices, you might install it and it looks quiet nice but then some features on your phone might become hidden,so find out if the theme is really for your device just before you DL it.
* ALWAYS do a back-up before upgrading your OS or even downloading an app,you never can tell what app will crash your device. A simple back-up with your BB protect or the BlackBerry Desktop Manager won’t take too long but WILL save you a lot.
* Sometimes when BlackBerry rolls out an app it might take a while before it circulates and also there might be a case of a general update and you notice that yours is unusually not showing up in the BlackBerry World, open the BB world, click ‘my world’, and let it refresh, if it doesn’t, then hold down the ‘alt’ button while you press ‘rst’,then wait for the BlackBerry world to close, then open it again, that should refresh your application list. It’s more or less like a hard reset.
* Just before I leave,I’ll just say: feel free to explore the BlackBerry world. There are about 250k apps available for all BlackBerry Smartphones.
Have a Berry blessed week.
David for FB.